Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Sighting

In the hustle and bustle of eating, talking and being with my wonderful family yesterday on Christmas Day, I received a unexpected present that I think others who have lost loved ones will be able to identify with.  Maybe this has happened to you but you didn't tell anyone else about it because you figured they would give you that look that says, "Okayyyyy. Rigghhhttttt."

My son and I were at my parents house and all of my siblings, nieces, nephews were gathered to celebrate Christmas.  There was lots of activity -- electronic and human --.and everyone was enjoying catching up with each other and just hanging out and basking in Christmas.

I was standing in the kitchen, leaning against the counter and talking to my niece.  While in the kitchen, I could also see into the family room where some football game was on the wide screen television and most of the food was in that room.  Thus, most of the men were camped out there.  As I was talking to her, out of the corner of my eye, I swear that I saw my late husband sitting in the chair that was only a few feet from me.  I saw his profile and he was dressed in khakis and a maroon sweater.  It was a split second thing and I quickly turned my head fully to see it again and then it was gone.  I loved that it happened because it was comforting, sort of a sign that he was with us.  Not scary at all!

You might say that I imagined it because I was thinking about him and I guess that could be the case.  But then again it could be the magic of Christmas.  Believe.






1 comment:

  1. I don't think you imagined it.

    Years ago, I was caught in the deep swell of a rip-tide struggling to just turn my body to swim parallel with the shore-line. As I took what I thought was my last breath, I know I saw my deceased grandfather's face and heard him tell me that I wasn't a quitter; kick my legs and stroke my arms fast and hard.

    I believe we are eternally touched, sense their presence and gather strength from our departed loved-one's.

    Angela Moore Dwork

    ReplyDelete