Monday, May 6, 2013

Moving Day

I received a couple of texts over the weekend from a friend who lives in another city about how he now lives in a new place.
 
I didn't know he had moved from his home of almost 20 years so I was surprised by his news but I also knew that there was more to the story than just a regular heave-ho move from one place to another.
 
 
My friend lost his wife to cancer a number of years ago and she was a wonderful and talented person, but she also was the kind of person who kept everything.  She was not a hoarder but instead was a person who wanted to keep things so that she could pass these things along to other people because she knew that they would be perfect for someone else.  She kept all these things until she saw the person she had in mind or until she eventually got around to sending the item to the person.
 
This is why I knew that when my friend said he had just moved to a new apartment that it must have meant that he had come face to face with the dreaded day he had tried to put off for so long:  what to do with her possessions.
 
There are times when we all need to try and work through stuff by ourselves and then after a while of giving it our best shot, there comes a time when we need to talk to friends about what is going on.
 
And when what is going on is bad, I think the best thing to do is shut up and listen to the person who is going through a painful time. And listen. And listen some more until the person says they can't talk anymore and they have to get off the phone.
 
Which is what I did.
 
And I was happy to listen to him talk about the all of the tons of stuff he found and what he did with it.  I would go into more detail but this part is not my story to tell.
 
My part of the story is about the idea that even though you may not be in a crisis mode, it is always nice to have someone to reach out to.
 
To connect with someone else on a human level.  To be able to say this is what is happening to me and it sucks, big time!
 
To feel that another human being understands you and gets what you are going through.
 
To know that you are not alone.
 
And you never are either, my friends!!! Ever!!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment